Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fads and Trends


Fad

 

Taylor Swift is a fad-A good singer with a really unique fanbase. But I feel that some of her popularity is beginning to wane as more singers flock to the stage. I think if Taylor Swift continues to evolve and keep your material fresh, she will easily keep her fans clamoring for more. However, I feel she is a fad because many singers fail to adapt to changing times. There are a lot of singers breaking into the younger Country fanbase and many will find it harder and harder to keep up with the times. Only time will tell if this diva has what it takes to keep up.

 
Bourne is a fad-When Bourne came out, it was with much fanfare. However, now that it has stopped coming out with new movies, I feel it will soon fade into the background. Bourne offered a new perspective on the typical action movies and provided twist and plenty of action to keep viewers coming back for more. But with any movie, people will simply move on to the next best thing. Only the real gems stay on the shelf long enough for people to come back for more.

 
Twitter is a fad- Twitter is a fad. Why? Twitter does not leave that much for development and I think it will grow obsolete once a more effective means of communication is found. Twitter is basically a blog with posts that are short and instanteous. However, how effective is that? I believe the future lies in a more personalized approach, sort of like Facebook or Skype where users can select which friends they want to send a tweet to, and more easily manage the slew of friends they already have. I think that allowing users to upload short videos or audio threads will keep it fresh. As it stands, I think Twitter will begin to lose much of its appeal


 

Larry the Cable Guy is a Fad- I love watching Larry the Cable Guy. He is funny and really engages his audience. However, I think the appeal may soon wear off as time goes on. As redneck humor changes with time, as something like country music does, some artist are unable to cope with the change. But who knows? Larry may come up with material that is fresh and at the same time, keeps up with the appeal that is Redneck comedy.

 

Solar cars are a fad.- Why? Solar cars are an environmentally friendly means of getting to point a to point b. The reason they are a fad is because they require something very important: a cloudless, sunny day. So no night driving to your favorite spot above the city, or driving through places with little sun. Cars which do burn fuel have no such limitations. I think the challenge is finding one that is economic and emits little to no emissions.

I think the future is in hydrogen cars, or cars that run off electricity. Hydrogen cars give off water as a byproduct and electric cars don’t have to worry about a cloudy day. True, electric cars do require a production of energy, usually be burning a fossil fuel, I think we are developing much more eco-friendly ways of generating electricity.
Even though the economy is not doing so great, more and more is being invested in renewable energy.
Investment in new renewable capacity (annual) 104 © 130 © 150 billion USD

Trend

 

Country Music is a trend-Country music has been around for nearly 60 years and has continued to grow in popularity. There are entire stations and TV channels devoted to it. It has a really patriotic following in the South and there are many different faces to it. From the slow country of older singers, to the fast paced country of singers like George Strait or Toby Keith. Country music is insightful and reminiscent of both the good and bad times. The people of country music mainly come from small towns with a very tight community. They love the excitement behind it and the emotion too. So that being said, do not diss country, you douche.


Action Movies is a trend- Action movies have been around since the advent of the first James Bond movie with Sean Connery and even before that, people have gone to see action movies. Why is this? Is it the feeling of peril for our hero? The thrill of seeing the bad guy getting the guts pumelled out of him?

I think it is something deeper. People want to feel excited. They want to feel the suspense of watching a high speed car chase. They want to get away from their boring lives and be immersed in something that is fast paced. They love to see bullets fly and feel the adrenaline pumping through their bloodstreams.


Social Networking is a trend-Ever since the advent of the first phone, social networking has grown in both popularity and numbers. With the introduction of the Internet, it has exploded into a variety of social mediums, including Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. Each offers a unique approach to communicating and each has their own clan of followers. I think that social networking will continue to evolve to the point where personal communication and communication via a medium will blend entirely. I also believe that people who don’t have access to it, or who are too unfamiliar will find Social Networking much more user friendly.

Redneck Humor is a trend- Although many will claim otherwise, redneck humor has been around since the 90’s but has been gaining popularity ever since. Four comedians stand above everyone else as the pioneers of redneck humor, Bill Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy. These four have gone on countless bluecollar comedies tours.

Redneck humor celebrates both the stupidity of others and the ridiculousness of certain situations. There is also a rich variety of material, from politics to economics that will keep the listener on the edge of their seat. And the really great comedians know how to speak to those of the south. Whatever your opinion, one cannot deny that there are some gems in Redneck Humor.

Lower energy cars are a trend-While the global warming crisis is slowly gaining recognition, lower energy cars have always been around, if only to save a few bucks at the pump. Ever since the government began to issue restrictions for emissions, to demanding that cars be fueled with unleaded gas, the Conesus has been cars which use less energy, while still retaining a certain reliability. Now we are searching for cars that have higher mpg, fewer emissions and are made with less materials. The reason this is a trend is because it has been around for a while, and it has helped shape the car industry since its foundation.

3 comments:

  1. i like the thing about the solar cars...thats really cool to me, but kinda sucks that you would be able to drive it at night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you categorize redneck humor as a trend! I love a good redneck joke, I listened to Jeff Foxworthy on CD when I was drivin home from Califronia a few times! I would never have labeled it as a trend, but I can see where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For electric cars: It all hinges on a good, cheap battery. I like the idea of removable batteries...Picture this... you drive into a station and a machine removes your battery and pops in a freshly charged one. You are "filled up" in 20 seconds. It would charge you for what you used... all batteries would be a standard size. What do you think about that?

    ReplyDelete